The Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) administers a variety of student residences within and outside the University campus. Students with an offer of admission to the PhD or MPhil programme may apply for university accommodation.  

All new non-local research postgraduate students, Hong Kong Presidential PhD Scholarship awardees and Hong Kong PhD Fellowship awardees on July 1, 2023 and thereafter are guaranteed a hall place to the end of the residential year within their first year of admittance, at a residence assigned by the University, subject to the terms and conditions.  

Please visit the CEDARS homepage for the detailed information. 

The application details are available as follows:


Application Information
New research postgraduate students who are: (i) Non-local; (ii) HKU Presidential PhD Scholarship (HKU-PS) awardees; or (iii) Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) awardees here
Other research postgraduate students here


Students holding conditional offer of admission can apply for housing, but offer of housing will only be made when admission of study is confirmed.