Application for Admission

Notes to Overseas Applicants

Cost of Living

Overseas applicants offered places may be required to show that they are able to support themselves financially throughout the course before they are allowed to commence their studies. It is very difficult to provide a precise estimate of the likely cost because it will vary from one person to another depending on the type of accommodation selected and other factors. Usually, the postgraduate scholarship is sufficient to cover food, lodging, general living expenses and tuition fees.


Postgraduate residences are available on campus or nearby and applications from overseas students are welcome. Students should contact the postgraduate residences directly for enquiries on vacancies and booking. Competition for places, however, is keen. For those unable to secure a residential place on campus, rental accommodation in the open market is also available. Admission to the University does not provide any guarantee of accommodation, which remains the responsibility of each student. It is therefore in the interest of overseas students to make definite arrangements for accommodation before arrival. Overseas students are advised to consult the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) on accommodation matters. Information on accommodation options for non-local students is available from the CEDARS website:


All non-local students must obtain a visa in order to study in Hong Kong.

Students from overseas

Student visa applications should be submitted to the HK Immigration Department through the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) or local Chinese Embassy. All applicants for a student visa for the HKSAR are required to have a local sponsor. Students coming to HKU should request CEDARS to be the visa sponsor by completing the visa sponsorship application form obtainable from CEDARS. A cost recovery handling charge is required.

PRC Students

PRC students (with the exception of those with overseas permanent residency) must submit the student visa application and visa sponsorship application via the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS).

Visa Application Procedures

For details on the visa application procedures, please visit the CEDARS website:

Hong Kong Identity Card

All non-Hong Kong students who intend to stay for more than 6 months should obtain a Hong Kong Identity Card after their arrival.

Other Information

Other information regarding our University’s support for international students can be viewed on-line: