Online Application for MPhil / PhD Admission - Important Notes
Important Notes to Applicants
Welcome to the online application system for admission to the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programmes of the University of Hong Kong. If you would like to apply for admission to a taught postgraduate programme instead of a research degree programme, please refer to the Postgraduate Prospectus.
1. Please read the General Information and Instructions carefully to make sure you understand the application procedures and requirements before completing the form. Applicants are strongly advised to complete the submission of their applications and upload necessary supporting documents to the Online Application System well in advance of the application deadlines to ensure smooth and successful submission. The Online Application System may be affected by the heavy loads generated by large number of applications near the close of the application periods.
2. All applications should be submitted to the Online Application System. You are also required to provide some documents to support your application. Please upload them before the application deadline.
3. The application period for admissions in 2021-22 commences on September 1, 2020 and the application periods are as follows:
Application Dates of Each
|Main Round||September 1, 2020 - December 1, 2020||
HKU Presidential PhD Scholar Programme
University Postgraduate Fellowships (UPF)
|1st Clearing Round^||December 2, 2020 - April 30, 2021||
Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
|2nd Clearing Round^||May 1, 2021 - August 31, 2021|
^ Applications will be considered only if there are vacancies after the Main Round.
4. Applicants who wish to apply for HKPF Scheme 2021-22 through The University of Hong Kong must quote the reference number allocated by RGC. Before submitting full application to the University, HKPF applicants should file an initial application to the RGC via the HKPFS electronic system to obtain a reference number from September 1 noon to December 1, 2020 noon.
5. HKPF applicants are also required to provide additional information in the Online Application System for the Selection Panel's evaluation.
Payment of Application Fees
6. You are provided with two options for settling payment, you can either pay online or by other means. To encourage applicants to settle application fees online, concession in application fees will be given to online payment by credit card. For online payment by VISA or MASTERCARD, the application fees is HK$150 and HK$400 will be charged for payment by other means. Application fees are non-refundable. Payment by cash will NOT be accepted.
Methods of payment by other means are as follows:
>Local applicants: Please deposit HK$400 to any branch of HSBC (account no. 002-222834-014 (Ref: 4001)) or transfer the amount using the ATM machine (please click here for payment instructions). Please submit the original customer copy of the Account Deposit Form or the ATM customer advice to the Graduate School.
>Overseas applicants: Please pay by bank draft of HK$400 or US$53 payable to "The University of Hong Kong"
Please write your full name in English, online application username, contact email and proposed department of study on the back of the pay-in-slip or bank draft for identification purposes. Your payment may not be accepted if you failed to provide the above information.
7. Your application can be submitted only upon authorized payment of the non-refundable application fees and the supporting documents can be uploaded after successful submission of application. Applicants who make payment online will have the benefit of automatic notification of authorized payment sent direct to the Graduate School. Applicants who make payment by other means need to send the original proof of payment to the Graduate School as soon as possible and within four weeks.
Completing Online Application
8. To submit your application online, please create an account first by clicking the "Create Account" button below. After successful creation of an account, you will be able to access the online application form. You do not need to input all information required in one go. You may save the inputted details and log off any time; and fill in the other details later by logging in again with your username and password. Please click here for an overview of the system.
9. The system will automatically log you out if it is idle for 20 minutes. All unsaved data will be lost. Please remember to save your data from time to time.
10. The maximum time allowed for you to fill in the online application form is 4 weeks. If you do not submit your application within 4 weeks after creation of your account, your account and all information entered will be deleted from the system.
11. Once your application has been submitted, you will NOT be able to change/view your application details online. Applicants are strongly advised to check their application details carefully and keep a record of their application information before online application fees payment.
12. After your application has been submitted and the online payment of application fee has been settled, an acknowledgement message with your application number will be shown. For applicants who settle the application fee by means other than online payment, an acknowledgement email will be sent after the payment/original payment proof is received. You can upload the supporting documents by then anytime. Please quote the application number and your full name in all future correspondence with the Graduate School.
13. Please contact the Graduate School as soon as possible by email: email@example.com for any subsequent changes in personal particulars after your application has been successfully submitted.
14. The Online Application System is best viewed with Internet Explorer 6. If you have enquiries regarding how to use the Online Application System, please contact the Graduate School by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: (852) 2857 3470.