Current Students

Cross-Institutional Course Enrolment

Cross-Institutional Course Enrolment Scheme is a collaboration among the eight UGC-funded universities in Hong Kong (namely City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Lingnan University, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Education University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and The University of Hong Kong). The collaboration allows research postgraduate students to enrol in courses and access to expertise available at the universities other than their own. Following is the information on courses offered by other universities and the procedures for applying for course enrolment in these universities.

Semester 2, Academic Year 2021-22

Please click on the university name in the table below for information of courses to be offered:

Application Deadline
Semester Start Date
Information Available From
January 3, 2022 January 10, 2022 December 13, 2021
January 3, 2022 January 10, 2022 December 10, 2021
January 28, 2022 February 4, 2022 January 3, 2022
January 7, 2022* January 14, 2022 December 10, 2021
December 21, 2021 January 10, 2022 December 7, 2021
January 3, 2022 January 10, 2022 December 17, 2021
December 20, 2021 January 3, 2022 December 6, 2021
January 3, 2022 January 17, 2022 December 1, 2021

*The application deadline is applicable to most courses. Some courses have deadlines ranging from December 27, 2021 to January 17, 2022.

HKU research postgraduate students taking courses offered by sister institutions:

  1.  Students may apply for cross-institutional course enrolment with endorsement of  supervisor and the  Departmental Research Postgraduate Committee (DRPC)

  2.  Students should only enrol in the courses which are not available at HKU.

  3.  Students may take courses from other universities to fulfil up to 50% of their Faculty/ School/ Departmental coursework requirements. 

  4.  Students should complete a  standard application form and  submit it, together with  Form GS15 "Endorsement Form for Cross-Institution Course Enrolment" to the Graduate School at least three working days before the application deadline specified by the host universities.

  5.  The Graduate School will forward the application to the coordinating office in the host university and students will be informed of the application result by the host university.

  6.  The host university will inform the Graduate School of the examination result(s) of the student and the result(s) will be included in the HKU official transcript on a Pass/ Fail basis regardless of whether a specific assessment grade has been given by the host university.

Research postgraduate students of sister institutions taking HKU courses

  1.  Research postgraduate students from sister institutions wishing to take courses offered by HKU should complete the  standard application form. They should only enrol in courses that are directly relevant to their field of study.

  2.  Students should complete Sections I to III of the form and obtain endorsement from the relevant coordinating office of the home institution, e.g. Graduate School of CUHK, ARRO of HKUST, etc.  The coordinating office will send the application form to the Graduate School of HKU before the specified deadline.

  3.  For course(s) with prerequisite requirement, students should attach supporting documents, e.g. transcripts and syllabuses, to their application forms.

  4.  The Graduate School of HKU will send the applications to the course-offering units for consideration/ approval. Course enrolment approval is at the discretion of HKU and is subject to availability of places, student quota and other pertinent factors of the courses. 

  5.  The Graduate School of HKU will inform individual student of the application result and the course timetable before the course commences by email.

  6.  Students are only allowed to drop courses within the first 2 weeks of commencement of the course.

  7.  Students enroled in the course will be admitted to study at HKU as visiting students with fees waived. They are required to participate fully in the course (including completion of coursework and examinations).

  8.  Students will not get a HKU student identity card. An official letter will be issued to students for identification purposes in class and during examination. Students can use their  JULAC library card to access the libraries in HKU.

  9.  Research postgraduate courses of HKU will be assessed on a Pass/ Fail basis rather than a grade. They do not follow the credit system. Please consult your home institution in case of credit transfer. At the end of the courses, HKU will notify the home institutions of the students of the examination results. Students are required to give consent to authorize HKU to do so in Section III of the application form. The decision on how the grades should be used is at the sole discretion of the home institution.

  10.  Students who have enroled in HKU courses must comply with the HKU regulations and procedures governing postgraduate degree courses.

  11.  There are two semesters in each academic year. Details are as follows: 

    • First Semester: early September - end of December

    • Second Semester: mid of January - end of May 

  12.  Students can view the examination regulations and timetables on the  HKU website. The timetables will be posted on the website at least two weeks before the examinations begin.



For further queries, please contact the Graduate School, The University of Hong Kong (tel: 2857-3470; fax: 2857-3543; email: